South Coast Kwazulu-Natal Activities
Holiday Beach Locations:
- Kelso Beach is a few minutes' walk from our coastal holiday resort.
- Pennington Main Beach is five minutes' drive away from River Valley Holiday Resort.
- Nkomba Beach, with Pennington Skiboat Club, is two minutes' drive away River Valley Holiday Resort.
- Scottburgh Beach is about ten minutes' drive away from our coastal holiday resort.
Experience the extraordinary and exhilarating Sardine Run. Enjoy the thrill of Shark Cage diving. Visit Crocworld, to experience reptiles upclose. Drive through the beautiful Vernon Crookes Nature Reserve. Scuba diving charters to the majestic Aliwal Shoal, and deep sea fishing charters can be arranged.Ask at reception for details.
The Resort is a bird watchers' paradise, where you may observe:
- The Spotted Eagle Owl
- The Purple Crested Lourie
- The Paradise Flycatcher
- Various Barbets
- Three species of wagtails (the Cape Wagtail, the Pied Wagtail as well as the Long Tailed Wagtail)
- A variety of Sunbirds
Umdoni Park is five minutes' drive away and offers beautiful walking trails through indigenous forest, offering excellent birdwatching opportunities, as well as the chance of seeing Mpiti and Bushbuck in their natural surroundings. The Nkomba nature conservancy is nearby and provides a peaceful and beautiful spot for walking and picnicking.
Three Internationally acclaimed Golf Courses are very close by:
- Umdoni Park
Penvalley Golf Estate is 1km from the resort, with a pub and a nine-hole golf links.
Durban attractions and amenities (45 minutes by car)
- The Umgeni River Bird Park
- uShaka Seaworld
- The Durban Botanic Gardens
- The Golden Mile beach front
There are numerous flea markets and craft markets in the area. Contact reception for more information.
Shopping and General Amenities:
- Pennington Shopping Centre is five minutes' drive from the resort, and contains Saverite Supermarket, Beach House Liquors bottle store, The Village Pub and Diner, Pennington Pharmacy, Umdoni Post Office and others.
- In Kelso Beach, five minutes' walk from the resort, is the Hospice Shop, Anderson Networks and Pennington Hardware.
- There is Pennington Superette on Pennington Drive near the R102, two minutes' drive from the resort.
- In nearby Rocky Bay, there is Sugar Barons Restaurant.
- Ten minutes' drive down the R102 in Scottburgh, there is Scottburgh Mall with Spur, Steers, Debonairs, Something Fishy, Wimpy and Pick 'n' Pay, Clicks, etc.
- In Scott Street, Scottburgh, there are various shops such as Shoprite, another Pick 'n' Pay, a Pharmacy, Hardware, Restaurants, etc.
- Scottburgh Beach area contains several restaurants, such as Enzo Pizzeria, The Bell and Anchor, The Beach Bar, Mozam Prawn, Nello's Pizzas and a really good fish and chip shop.
- Half an hour's drive away there are major shopping malls such as Galleria in Amanzimtoti and Shelly Beach and South Coast Malls to the South.